Published by Shaw Press on July 16, 2012
Buy on Amazon, Buy on B&N
A med school grad who’s left the field to become a food critic, Shelbi Arrington delivers a less than stellar review to doctor-hating chef and restaurateur Justin Richardson’s restaurant Lillian’s. When the two accidentally meet, sparks fly in and out of the kitchen. But can their feelings stand the heat when Justin learns of Shelbi’s medical background and Shelbi struggles with her professional choices?
Author Candace Shaw offered this book for a limited-time free download on Amazon, and I scapped this baby up fast as could be. And I am glad I did, because it gave me a fun, sexy weekend read.
There are so many reasons to like about this book. Here are my five.
- Unexpected professions – normally males tend to have the alpha professions in romance novels. I liked how Shelbi was the doctor and Justin the chef. A sort of role reversal that worked perfectly.
- Location – I don’t know much about Memphis, so this was a great location for me. The author’s descriptions gave a good flavor of the city (pun totally intended), and it made me want to visit. My mouth is set for some of that barbecue for real.
- Storyline – the story was believable, fast-paced, and fun with enough twists and turns to keep the reader involved.
- Characters – the book really shines in this department with full-bodied characters. Shelbi comes across accomplished, smart, confident, sexy and sensitive…but with one little glitch in her armor that keeps the story humming. Justin is an ultra-sexy socially conscious chef with a childhood tragedy still haunting him.
- Secondary Characters – here the author truly shines. Ms. Shaw’s secondary characters come alive on the pages almost as much as the main characters. I know I will enjoy reading the stories of Shelbi’s sisters Bria and Raven, as well as brother Cannon.
My Bottom Line:
Cooking Up Love spiced up my weekend,
and I wholeheartedly 5-star recommend it.
Candace Shaw Connects: